August 7, 2008
Memory makersIt’s the simple things, of course, that make for great summer fun. My family just returned from two weeks at our cabin on Green Lake, Spicer, Minn ., and we’re still trying to get used to Chicago living again (sirens at night instead of water lapping and loons calling, shoes instead of bare feet or Birkenstocks).
But the memories (and photos) of those two weeks with three kids 5 and under are enough to keep me going. With every year that passes, it will be fun to see how the lake Top Ten List changes:
1. Swimming, boating and fishing. Peder, 5 1/2, caught his first (and second) fish—a sunfish off the dock.
2. Eating and drinking with friends/relatives made for one long, wonderful family reunion!
3. The A maze'n Farmyard , Eden Valley, Minn. A family-run farm for kids that lets them "be" not just "look" at animals, and teaches about the importance of farming and the land.
4. Melvin’s. It’s where we go “out to eat” when at the lake.
5. Farmer’s Market in Willmar. You gotta love a market that sells lefse and ruhbarb pies.
6. Listening to fiddlers perform at the Glacial Ridge Winery, just down the road.
7. The Spicer library. It’s where we check out books and DVDs for vacation and occasionally check e-mail! (Yea! No computers or TV at the lake).
8. Warm days, cool nights. Perfect weather. And one night when Peder was having trouble getting to sleep, I said, “Why don’t we go out and lie on the dock to look at the stars?” It was just the nightcap we needed.
9. An every morning trip to the local playground--a GREAT park built by the community.
10. Smores, weenie roast—and evening campfires, of course.