May 3, 2012
ELCA publications win ACP awards
Publications of the ELCA took home 14 awards from the Associated Church Press annual convention, held in Chicago April 30-May 2. The ACP "Best of the Christian Press" awards were presented for work produced in 2011.
Café — Stirring the Spirit Within received:
• Award of merit, best in class: independent website or e-zine for its website. Elizabeth McBride and Kate Elliott, editors.
Gather (formerly Lutheran Woman Today) received:
• Award of merit, personally useful article for "Burning bush chaser." Martha Sterne, author; Elliott and Terri Lackey, editors.
• Award of merit, Bible resource, for "Renew, respond, rejoice." Catherine Malotky and David Engelstad, authors; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Honorable mention, personal experience/first-person account (long format) for "Healing friendships." Terry L. Bowes, author; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Honorable mention, department for "Family matters." Sue Gamelin and Elyse Nelson Winger, authors; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Honorable mention, devotional/inspirational (long format) for "A place apart." Christa von Zychlin, author; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
The Lutheran received:
• Award of excellence, humor, written for "Great expectations." Elizabeth A. Eaton, author; Julie B. Sevig, editor.
• Award of excellence, convention or meeting coverage for "ELCA assembly: Full speed ahead" by the staff of The Lutheran.
• Award of merit, news story for "10 trends to watch." Kathryn Sime, author; Elizabeth Hunter, editor.
• Award of merit, personal experience/first-person account (short format) for "Between us: Half a lung, half a lung, half a lung onward." Walter Wangerin Jr., author; Daniel J. Lehmann, editor.
• Honorable mention, editorial courage for "R. Guy & Keith Fry ...." Sandra Guy, author; Sevig, editor.
• Honorable mention, theological reflection (short format) for "Deeper understandings: The creeds." Robin Steinke and Gary Simpson, authors; Lehmann, editor.
The Little Christian received:
• Award of merit, magazine design: entire issue for "Go with God." Amber Leberman, art director.
• Award of merit, photography: with article or cutline for "Jhariff lives in Peru." Elie Gardner, photographer; Leberman, art director.