For the first time, membership of churches belonging to the Lutheran World Federation reached 70 million.
Membership of churches in Africa and Asia increased, while those in North America, Latin America and the Caribbean declined slightly.
Germany continues to be the country with the largest number of Lutherans in the LWF, with more than 12.9 million.
Membership of the top six churches:
1. The Church of Sweden, 6.75 million
2. Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania, 5.3 million
3. Ethiopian Evangelical [Lutheran] Church Mekane Yesus, 5.27 million
4. ELCA, 4.6 million
5. Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark, 4.49 million
6. Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, 4.47 million.
© 2016 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers