• 500 million people are infected with malaria.
• Every 30 seconds, a child dies of malaria.
• 33.2 million live with HIV/AIDS.
• In 2007, 72 percent of AIDS-related deaths occurred in sub-Saharan Africa.
• People living in poverty are more likely to suffer from malaria, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.
In an overwhelming show of support, the assembly voted 989-11 for the ELCA to continue developing the Lutheran Malaria Initiative in partnership with Lutheran World Relief, the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod and the U.N. Foundation. Together, the partners hope to raise $75 million over five years to fight malaria.
|Peter Mayer plays a benefit concert for the ELCA HIV/AIDS Strategy and the Lutheran Malaria Initiative. He also co-led a Bible study at the assembly. A member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Nashville, Tenn., Mayer is lead guitarist with Jimmy Buffett’s Coral Reefer Band and leads the Peter Mayer Group. He grew up in India where his parents were Lutheran missionaries.|
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2016 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers