The 1993 Churchwide Assembly adopted a resolution on community violence calling for:
"Passage and strict enforcement of local, state and national legislation that rigidly controls manufacture, importation, exportation, sale, purchase, transfer, receipt, possession and transportation of handguns, assault weapons and assault-like weapons and their parts, excluding rifles and shotguns used for hunting and sporting purposes, for use other than law enforcement and military purposes."
A Message on Community Violence from the ELCA Church Council in 1994 includes these statements:
"In service of its commitment to counter violence, the ELCA ... also advocates in favor of gun control ....
"As we move toward a more comprehensive address of community violence, we join with other religious communities in anti-violence initiatives that:
• "Offer vital spiritual and moral resources for replacing fear and violence with hope and reconciliation in our homes, communities and nation.
• "Stem the proliferation of guns in our streets, schools and homes.
• "Counter the 'culture of violence' that pervades our national culture and media.
• "Build strong anti-violence coalitions in our neighborhoods and communities.
• "Develop peer mediation skills in the schools.
• "Protect our youth from the epidemic of violence through equitable law enforcements, and the promotion of education, social program, anti-drug programs and real job opportunities."
© 2016 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers