The proposed “Social Statement on Human Sexuality” and the “Report and Recommendations on Ministry Policies” were topics at synod assemblies held in April.
Northeastern Minnesota, April 24-26, Brainerd, Minn.:
• Directed the Churchwide Assembly to ask churchwide units and offices to “develop resources for ministers and congregations who choose to do so to support same-gender relationships by holding them publicly accountable for promises of lifelong love and fidelity made before their faith-community.”
Arkansas-Oklahoma, April 24-26, Tulsa, Okla.:
• Asked the 2009 Churchwide Assembly to adopt both the proposed human sexuality social statement and the report and recommendations on ministry policies.
Alaska Synod, April 23-25, Soldotna, Alaska:
• Passed an environmental resolution concerning oceans and pollution caused by plastics.
Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana, April 24-26, Plano, Texas:
• Asked Church in Society to create a “Volunteer Suicide Prevention Ministry Task Force.”
• Requested that the church make appropriate military language and images available in worship resources.
• Asked the Churchwide Assembly to change its rules of procedure so that any motions coming before the assembly regarding a change in rostering policies or same-sex blessings require a two-thirds vote for adoption.
© 2013 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers