Assembly reports contributed by Celie Addy, Danielle Burrus, Maureen Corrigan, Harry Deitz, Jeff Drake, Linda E. Few, Linda Janssen Gjere, Dan Glamann, Patricia Harant, Paul F. Heykes, Gayda Hollnagle, Mary Housholder, Linda Hudgins, George Kegley, Cindy Koonce, Karen S. Krueger, Linda Nansteel Lovell, Julie Mankin, Barb Myers, Linda Pederson, Irene Pfannkuch, Donna Prunkl, Bill Reynolds, Judi Rogers, Kim Stevens, Virginia Strahan, Bob Thomas, Jan Zook and synod Web sites.
Elected: Jim Arends, 55, as bishop of the La Crosse Area Synod, effective Oct. 1.
When: June 7 on the fifth ballot with 155 votes. Brian King, pastor of Bethany Lutheran Church, Iowa Falls, Iowa, received 113 votes.
Bio: Pastor of Peace Lutheran Church, La Crescent, Minn., since 2002. Served Trinity, Spring Grove; Community, Geneva; and Cross of Glory, Brooklyn Center, Lutheran churches in Minnesota. Was a teaching pastor of the Central Synod of the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus.
Replaces: April Ulring Larson, who had served since 1992 and was the first Lutheran woman to be elected bishop in the U.S. and the second worldwide.
Elected: Mark Narum, 45, as bishop of the Western North Dakota Synod, effective Sept. 1.
When: June 7 on the fourth ballot with 207 votes. Andrea Degroot-Nesdahl, interim pastor of Lutheran Memorial Church, Pierre, S.D., received 83 votes.
Bio: Pastor of Prairie Lutheran Parish in North Dakota, which includes Bethlehem, Ross; Faith, Palermo; and Knife River and American, Stanley.
Replaces: Duane Danielson, who has served since 1996 and was ineligible for election.
• Callon W. Holloway Jr., 55, as bishop of the Southern Ohio Synod, May 30, on the fifth ballot with 298 votes. James E. Wilson, pastor of Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Worthington, Ohio, received 235 votes.
• Paul W. Stumme-Diers, 47, as bishop of the Greater Milwaukee Synod, May 31, on the fourth ballot with 246 votes. John Horner-Ibler, pastor of Cross of Life Lutheran Church, Brookfield, Wis., received 121 votes.
• Marie Jerge, 55, as bishop of the Upstate New York Synod, June 9, on the second ballot with 308 votes. Raymond N. Fitch, pastor of First Lutheran Church, Blasdell, N.Y., received 120 votes.
• Wilma S. Kucharek, 53, as bishop of the Slovak Zion Synod, June 28, on the second ballot with 48 votes. Gary Schreckengost, pastor of St. John Lutheran Church, Youngstown, Ohio, received six votes.
• Steven L. Ullestad, 55, as bishop of the Northeastern Iowa Synod, June 28, on the third ballot with 232 votes. Gary Hatcher, pastor of St. Peter Lutheran Church, Greene, Iowa, had 45 votes.
© 2014 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers