“If you really want to make a difference, volunteer to help a military family,” Maj. Ted Daley said. “Give them one less thing to worry about.” He had these tips to offer:
• Pray for all military families.
• Bring a meal to a military family.
• Offer to baby-sit or pay for a baby-sitter, so the spouse can have a night off.
• Mow the family’s lawn every week. If you’re handy, ask for a list of five things that need fixing.
• Start a free weekend for military families at an area Lutheran camp.
• Say “Thank you” to a member of the military. “That’s worth more than a medal or a ribbon,” he said.
To learn more or support Camp Onomia’s free weekend for military families, contact: Camp Onomia, 14202 Shakopee Lake Rd., Onamia, MN 56359.
"See, it’s like a flag,” said Nikki Harris, 9.
She dipped her brush into red paint, then blue, decorating a photo
frame to send to her dad, Michael, stationed in Iraq.
Last year Nikki and her family enjoyed a free July 4th weekend at Camp Onomia, an ELCA outdoor ministry in Onomia, Minn. Support and funding for the weekend comes from ELCA congregations, community organizations and the Minnesota National Guard.
|Dan Harris baits his fishing line. His family enjoys a free weekend at Camp Onomia
in Onomia, Minn., while his dad serves in Iraq. His dad “is really into
hunting and fishing, so he is too,” said his mother, Lawre Harris. |
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2013 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers