• The Child & Family Institute of Aptos, a ministry of Christ Lutheran Church in Aptos, Calif., collected school supplies for New Horizons School for Homeless and Transitional Children during its “Fill a backpack with love” project. The institute purchased 180 backpacks and with Starbucks and Bay Federal Credit Union filled them with school supplies.
• Artisans from Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Memphis, Tenn., made six stained-glass windows for the sanctuary. The project began several years ago when parishioner Marty Engelbrecht of Germantown, Tenn., taught members how to work with stained glass. The six windows on the south side of the sanctuary are each four-feet square and designs depict the seasons of Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter and Pentecost. The Christmas and Epiphany windows include stars etched in flashed glass. The $6,000 for the windows was made by selling $100 panels and by using memorial gifts.
• The men of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Marysville, Wash., hosted the third mini-gathering of 2007 for Lutheran Men in Mission, the ELCA men’s ministry. About 200 men attended. Roland D. Martinson, the Carrie Olson Baalson professor of children, youth and family ministry, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., spoke about men’s Christian service in home and congregation and engaging young men in life and faith.
• Lutheran Services for the Elderly Endowment Fund of the ELCA awarded $243,000 to eight organizations dedicated to ministries and services for and by the elderly: Lutheran Services in America, Baltimore; Lutheran Social Services of New England, Wellesley, Mass.; Lutheran Homes of South Carolina, Irmo; LSS of Illinois, Des Plaines; Lutheran Settlement House, Philadelphia; Lutheran Senior Life, Zelienople, Pa.; American Institute for Social Justice, Newark, N.J.; and Southeastern Synod, Atlanta. The endowment funds are housed in the ELCA Foundation.
• The Lutheran Services for Children Endowment Fund of the ELCA awarded $260,256 to six organizations dedicated to services to and for ministries with children: Central City Lutheran Mission, San Bernardino, Calif.; Newberry [S.C.] College; Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota, Sioux Falls; Holy Family Ministries, Northfield, Ill.; Cherish Our Children, Minneapolis; and Lutheran Church of Our Savior, San Francisco. The endowment funds are housed in the ELCA Foundation.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers