Anna Sarah Kugler (born in 1856) was the first of several female doctors sent as medical missionaries to India. In 1883 the General Synod’s Woman’s Home and Foreign Missionary Society sent the young doctor to Guntur, India, as a teacher for Muslim women in harems, saying they could not call her as a medical missionary. The board finally appointed her to the position of medical missionary in December 1885. She began working on plans for a women’s hospital, the American Evangelical Lutheran Mission Hospital, which opened in June of 1897. After her death in Guntur in 1930, the hospital was renamed Kugler Hospital.
© 2014 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers