Elected: Stephen Talmage, 47, as bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod, effective Aug. 1.
When: May 26, on the fifth ballot, 204-126 over Steven A. Holm, pastor of Desert Cross Lutheran Church, Tempe, Ariz.
Bio: Pastor of Peace Lutheran Church, Peoria, Ariz. Graduate of Wartburg Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa. Previously served as pastor of American Lutheran Church, Tucson, Ariz.
Replaces: Michael Neils, who resigned in January as bishop and as an ELCA pastor.
• David deFreese, 51, bishop of the Nebraska Synod, June 2, on the first ballot, with 603 of 757 votes.
• Margaret Payne, 59, bishop of the New England Synod, June 8, on the first ballot with 365 of 434 votes.
• Warren Freiheit, 58, bishop of the Central/Southern Illinois Synod, June 9, on the first ballot, with 294 of 385 votes.
• James A. Justman, 50, bishop of the East-Central Synod of Wisconsin, June 10, on the fourth ballot, with 261 of 400 votes.
• H. Gerard Knoche, 63, bishop of the Delaware-Maryland Synod, June 2, on the second ballot, with 342 of 456 votes.
© 2014 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers