ELCA congregations damaged (minor to severe) by the Gulf Coast hurricanes (Katrina, Rita and Wilma)
Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod
• Bethlehem, New Orleans
• Bethlehem, Beaumont, Texas
• Christ the King, Kenner, La.
• Gethsemane, Chalmette, La.
• Grace, New Orleans
• Hosanna, Mandeville, La.
• House of Prayer, Harvey, La. (closed—many members have relocated)
• Galilean, La Place, La.
• Love, New Orleans
• St. John, Port Arthur, Texas
• St. Mark, Metairie, La.
• St. Paul, Lake Charles, La.
• Trinity, Orange, Texas
• Bethel, Biloxi, Miss.
• Christus Victor, Ocean Springs, Miss.
• Grace, Long Beach, Miss.
• Martin Luther, Mobile, Ala.
• St. Paul, Mobile, Ala.
• Advent, Miami Shores, Fla.
• Ascension, Boynton Beach, Fla.
• Christ, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
• Christ the King, Miami
• Community of Hope, Miami
• Emmanuel, Naples, Fla.
• Good Shepherd, Boca Raton, Fla.
• Grace, Miami Springs, Fla.
• Holy Cross, West Palm Beach, Fla.
• Lamb of God, Fort Myers, Fla.
• Living Word, Lantana, Fla.
• Lord of the Seas, Big Pine Key, Fla.
• Luther Memorial, Hollywood, Fla.
• Lutheran Ministry in Christ, Coral Springs, Fla.
• Messiah, Miami
• Our Saviour, Freeport, Grand Bahama
• Prince of Peace, Stuart, Fla.
• San Pedro, Miami
• Shepherd of the Glades, Naples, Fla.
• South Miami, Miami
• St. Andrew, Lake Worth, Fla.
• St. Andrew, Homestead, Fla.
• St. Andrew, Port St. Lucie, Fla.
• St. John, Hollywood, Fla.
• St. John, Lake Park, Fla.
• St. James, Coral Gables, Fla.
• St. Thomas by the Bay, Miami
• Trinity, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
• Zion, Deerfield, Fla.
Response to Hurricane Katrina brought out some
of what is best in U.S. Lutherans, with the faithful from all walks of
life helping to repair the Gulf Coast.
|Jon Kurtz, 61, a member of North Riverdale, pulls screws from studs at Jason Morgan’s Slidell home that was damaged by 8 feet of water. Volunteers spent most of their time rebuilding “mucked-out” homes, doing dry-walling, painting, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and roofing work.|
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers