Division for Church in Society board Chicago, Oct. 21-23.
• Authorized printing and distribution of "Our Calling in Education: A Lutheran Study" (www.elca.org/socialstatements/education), the study document for the social statement on education to be prepared for the 2007 Churchwide Assembly.
• Approved the social policy resolution "Genetically Modified Organisms in the Food Supply" and recommended its adoption to the Church Council.
• Recommended to the Church Council three issue papers on corporate social responsibility (domestic access to capital and to health care and extractive industries), providing boundaries for ELCA institutions on voting proxies and filing shareholder resolutions with corporations in which they hold stock.
Board of Pensions trustees Minneapolis, Nov. 5-7.
• Adopted a 2005 budget of $63.5 million that included administrative costs just under $44 million. The figures hold administrative costs to 1.25 percent over projected costs for 2004.
• Supported budget projections for 2006 and 2007.
• Voted approval in concept of the 2006 plan design for the ELCA medical and dental benefits plan, in which all services would be subject to a deductible and coinsurance. The design would begin to shift costs gradually so member/employer cost sharing in 2005 will be 17/83 percent, in 2006 19/81 percent, and in 2007 22/78 percent. The design would engage plan members in their health-care purchasing decisions.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers