• Meg Murray, who fights against evil, in Madeleine L'Engle's young adult novels A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet and Many Waters.
• Lyra Silvertongue and Will Parry, children who confront the evils of the church in Philip Pullman's fantasy books The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.
• Agatha McGee, a Roman Catholic schoolteacher living in northern Minnesota who discovers the riches of life in her senior years, in Jon Hassler's Staggerford, A Green Journey and Dear James.
• Charles Ashworth, Jonathon Darrow and others who live rich spiritual lives in Susan Howatch's series about the Church of England: Glittering Images, Glamorous Powers, Ultimate Prizes, Scandalous Risks, Mystical Paths and Absolute Truths.
• Miss Julia Springer, a widowed septuagenarian who discovers her inner strengths as she encounters surprising challenges in Ann B. Ross' Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, Miss Julia Takes Over and Miss Julia Throws a Wedding.
• Margaret Gower, the daughter of an Episcopal priest who becomes a priest herself, in Gail Godwin's Father Melancholy's Daughter and Evensong.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers