• Praying Twice: The Music and Words of Congregational Song, by Brian Wren, (Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press, 2000; available from Presbyterian Publishing Corporation).
• What Language Shall I Borrow? God Talk in Worship, by Brian Wren, (New York: Crossroad Books,1989; available from www.amazon.com).
• Life of the Beloved, by Henri J. M. Nouwen, (New York: Crossroad Books, 2000; available from www.amazon.com).
• Loving Yourself More, by Virginia Froehle, (Notre Dame, Ind., Ave Maria Press, Inc., 1993; available from Ave Maria Press).
• Julian of Norwich Showings, translated from the critical text by Edmund Colledge and James Walsh, (New York: Paulist Press, 1988; available from www.amazon.com).
I ring the doorbell and wait — but not for long. Soon I hear the pounding
of little feet running on wood floors, accompanied by screams of
delight, "Grandma Sonia is here!
"During those few seconds of waiting, joy rises within me. The door opens and five pairs of arms reach for hugs. What delight I feel every Saturday when this scene repeats itself. What love fills my heart as I hold these beautiful little children of my child. What yearnings I feel for them and for their health and well-being.
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2013 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers