My 6-year-old daughter, Meagan, has a potentially life-threatening allergy to peanuts. A frightening Sunday school experience taught me that people don't know enough about food allergies. Her Sunday school class made bird feeders with peanut butter. Her teacher thought Meagan's allergy was only a problem if she ate peanuts. But it's more than that. Even being near the peanut butter caused Meagan to have a reaction that required medical attention. The next week she had another reaction because peanut butter residue remained in the classroom.
Food allergies can kill. Reactions usually occur within minutes or from one to two hours after exposure. To help Sunday school staff and others care for children with food allergies:
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers