Division for Church in Society board. Milwaukee, Sept. 24-26.
- Recommended for adoption by the ELCA Church Council a "Message on Immigration." If adopted, it will serve as a resource for congregations to discuss attitudes regarding immigration. The document also will guide advocacy efforts.
- Asked that the Church Council approve a proposal to develop a social statement on health and health care for consideration at the 2003 Churchwide Assembly.
- Called for speedy establishment of a rural desk at the churchwide offices. Asked that ELCA members learn and pray about rural people and their future in light of what some call a "stealth crisis" in rural America.
- Requested that the Church Council approve and transmit to the 1999 Churchwide Assembly "The Final Report of the Comprehensive Study of Ministry with and among Persons who are Deaf and Persons with Disabilities of the ELCA."
- Restored to full affiliation status Lutheran Affiliated Services in Cranberry Township, Pa.