Publications of the ELCA took home 12 awards from the Associated Church Pressconvention held April 23-26 in Chicago. The ACP “Best of the Christian Press” awards were presented for work produced in 2013.
The Lutheran won seven awards:
• Award of merit, theological: biblical interpretation for “Even prophets get the blues,” Frank Honeycutt, author; Daniel J. Lehmann, editor.
• Honorable mention, devotional/inspirational for “Love letter,” Honeycutt, author; Lehmann editor.
• Honorable mention, single photo with article for “A joyful beginning” (November cover photo of Presiding Bishop Elizabeth A. Eaton) by Michael D. Watson, photographer.
• Honorable mention for illustration accompanying “Keeping it legal,” Watson, artist; Julie B. Sevig, editor.
• Honorable mention for feature article (short format) for “Lutheran trump cards,” Dave Daubert, author; Elizabeth Hunter editor.
• Honorable mention, in-depth coverage for “The shrinking church” (January cover story), Nicole Radziszewski, author; Sevig, editor.
• Honorable mention, interview for “Friday night lights,” Shawn Windsor, author; Sevig, editor.
Gather magazine and Bold Café, both from the Women of the ELCA, won five awards:
• Award of excellence, devotional/inspirational (long format) for “Wilderness Journey,” Julie Kanarr, author; Kate Sprutta Elliott and Terri Lackey, editors.
• Award of merit, biblical interpretation for “A wild and crazy guy,” Kanarr, author; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Award of excellence, personal experience (long format) for “Please God,” S.K.O. writer; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Honorable mention, department for “Playing for keeps,” Elyse Nelson, author; Elliott and Lackey, editors.
• Honorable mention, online, independent website to Boldcafe.org, Elizabeth McBride editor and graphic designer.
Metro Lutheran, a Minneapolis-St. Paul newspaper that recently ceased publication, won two awards:
• Honorable mention in best in class, regional newspaper to Bob Hulteen, editor, and staff.
• Award of excellence, newspaper column, for “Grace notes,” Jean Johansson, author.
The rest of this article is only available to subscribers.
© 2015 Augsburg Fortress, Publishers