The Magazine of The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America


At the intersection of faith and society

Lenoir-Rhyne University

When students at Lenoir-Rhyne University, Hickory, N.C., cross the highest point of campus, they encounter one of the world’s largest statues of Martin Luther. Installed in 2010 as a gift from Charlotte philanthropist Irwin Belk, the 12-foot granite statue was designed by North Carolina sculptor Jon Hair. Lenoir-Rhyne was begun by four Lutheran pastors in 1891, and in 2012 it grew via a merger to include Lenoir-Rhyne’s School of Theology (also known as the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary) in Columbia, S.C.


Print subscribers and supporting Web members may comment.

Log in or Subscribe to comment.

text size:

this page: email | print

October issue

OCTOBER issue:

Women and the Reformation: Then & Now