Julie B. Sevig
I joined the staff in 2000 as a section editor, and have had the great privilege of writing and editing hundreds of stories about congregations of the ELCA. My family belongs to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chicago. Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of the ELCA.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
- Poetry takes center stage in NYC
— in April and every month
- Ashes to go
- Starting fresh
Readers tell what they’ve tossed — and even how cleaning has revived mission
- Starry Advent night
- Ice cream evangelism
- 'Gifts for Jesus'
Take a cue from the magi this Epiphany
- Outhouse on the move
In Kerkhoven, Minn., they're sending kids to Detroit with a check and some chuckles
- 'Showers of Blessing'
Church & community address hygiene among homeless
- Mothers, friends & a connection to last a lifetime
- 10w: The way to start your day
- Five minutes with the Divine
- What’s the buzz?
This congregation in Washington, D.C., will tell you
- Bugs & boogie-woogie
- Bless this skier
- ‘The best conversation ever’
Lutherans lead in advance directives
- Readers ramp it up on fifth Sundays
- Lenten ‘Hunger Hunt’
Chicago kids hunt for, and buy, animals
- A certificate to cherish
- Art as Lenten discipline
- Pack the pew
- Joy to the world all year round
- Not a cradle Lutheran?
- Super Roll Sunday
- A profitable pairing
Chili & snowmobiling
- Trinity Growers: Ready for harvest
- Operation Christmas
In Hayward, Wis., more than 800 will receive Lutheran cheer
- ‘Good for Your Sole Sunday’
- Giving thanks — and good gifts
- Making malaria known
- Catchy adult education
- Sending moms & kids to camp
- A mission ‘trip’ that stays home
- A barrel of blessings
- Hymnals to angels
- Family business
Father, daughter serve as lay leaders in Montana, New York
- With God we can!
- VBS with a twist
- Pillows for patients
- Summertime Jesus
- Just One More rescues food & souls
- Diaper Depot
- ‘S’ is for service
In Omaha, what was once VBS is now LYSO
- Soon it will be time to 'Prepent'
- Brats N More
- In S.C., Easter means worship on the beach, pancakes
- Cookies for inmates
- Ashes at the train stop
- Use Lent to count blessings and coins
- For these pastors a name is (usually) a good fit
- ‘Billies for Goats’
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- The habit of forgiveness
- From generation to generation
- A 236-word blog
- Going without
- Books build community
- From Oprah to NPR
- Delight in the 'little stories'
- Greed or chance?
- Grieving "The Times"
- A not-so-grave tradition
- Home funerals?
- Here's $210 million; now leave!
- A cartoon Christmas
- Searching for Christmas
- Thankful for... diversity and welcome!
- Thankful for...Dove?
- It costs HOW MUCH?
- This movement has me seeing (RED)
- Go see "Jesus Camp"
- Raising prayers & glasses
- Who's Craig?
- All Things Accordion
- Good-bye Katie
- Thanks for writing
- Feliz Syttende Mai
- They're ours!
- Cover saint
- Royal & Lutheran
- An Easter Shout-out
- It's spring: clean!
- This week: Plant a seed!
- Let's hear it for the monkey and the man in the yellow hat
- Telling the stories; praising the pastors
- Learning from Lucky Lindsey
- Bono's best sermon yet
- Monday morning quarterbacking
- What do you want to BE?
- When all you can do is pray...and learn.
- Giving thanks for what matters
- Taking care of the pastors
- 'Call Connie'
- In the middle of the night
- For the animals: A Loud Amen!
- A fresh start
- The more things change, the more they...stay the same?
- A ministry of presence from afar
- Summer friends
- Learning from the protestors...to love this church.
- Forever 18
- It's the only thing to do...