Julie B. Sevig
I joined the staff in 2000 as a section editor, and have had the great privilege of writing and editing hundreds of stories about congregations of the ELCA. My family belongs to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chicago. Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of the ELCA.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
- Ice cream evangelism
- 'Gifts for Jesus'
Take a cue from the magi this Epiphany
- Outhouse on the move
In Kerkhoven, Minn., they're sending kids to Detroit with a check and some chuckles
- 'Showers of Blessing'
Church & community address hygiene among homeless
- Mothers, friends & a connection to last a lifetime
- 10w: The way to start your day
- Five minutes with the Divine
- What’s the buzz?
This congregation in Washington, D.C., will tell you
- Bugs & boogie-woogie
- Bless this skier
- ‘The best conversation ever’
Lutherans lead in advance directives
- Readers ramp it up on fifth Sundays
- Lenten ‘Hunger Hunt’
Chicago kids hunt for, and buy, animals
- A certificate to cherish
- Art as Lenten discipline
- Pack the pew
- Joy to the world all year round
- Not a cradle Lutheran?
- Super Roll Sunday
- A profitable pairing
Chili & snowmobiling
- Trinity Growers: Ready for harvest
- Operation Christmas
In Hayward, Wis., more than 800 will receive Lutheran cheer
- ‘Good for Your Sole Sunday’
- Giving thanks — and good gifts
- Making malaria known
- Catchy adult education
- Sending moms & kids to camp
- A mission ‘trip’ that stays home
- A barrel of blessings
- Hymnals to angels
- Family business
Father, daughter serve as lay leaders in Montana, New York
- With God we can!
- VBS with a twist
- Pillows for patients
- Summertime Jesus
- Just One More rescues food & souls
- Diaper Depot
- ‘S’ is for service
In Omaha, what was once VBS is now LYSO
- Soon it will be time to 'Prepent'
- Brats N More
- In S.C., Easter means worship on the beach, pancakes
- Cookies for inmates
- Ashes at the train stop
- Use Lent to count blessings and coins
- For these pastors a name is (usually) a good fit
- ‘Billies for Goats’
- Livestock instead of lilies
- Go, sow! Sow! Go!
Eaton installed as presiding bishop in joyful, emotional service
- Reader call: Pastor Hope?
- Hearing the cries
‘Yes’ to criminal justice, other actions
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- Missing Aunt Hannah
- Money, money, where to put the money?
- Are you a nomophobe?
- A middle class state of mind
- Fellow member arrested in Pa. church shooting
- Parenting coaches: paid and unpaid
- Five years later...
- For all things green
- Tell them you love them
- Souper news
- Think summer!
- That's some new member class
- Blessings & curse of the Internet
- Sitting in the right pew
- The gifts in, and of, one another
- Smile, it's Advent!
- Giving thanks for the harvest & the farmers!
- Cheers & gratitude!
- Building community
- Funeral held for Twin Cities nanny
- Rites of fall
- You're more than your photo
- A year of...
- Dancing danes...and so much more
- Kid nation?
- In praise of song & story
- It's lefse season!
- Small Lutheran world
- Move over ELW
- ELCA member among the dead
- Call for prayers in Minneapolis-St. Paul
- My heart's in Minnesota
- Prodigy or just faithful parenting?
- Scandal in Chicago
- Tolling the bell for peace
- The fabric of our lives
- Tending souls...
- A Pentecost Moment
- Making connections, giving thanks
- Don't forget to sing!
- For all the other mothers
- The habit of forgiveness
- From generation to generation
- A 236-word blog
- Going without
- Books build community
- From Oprah to NPR
- Delight in the 'little stories'
- Greed or chance?
- Grieving "The Times"