Julie B. Sevig
When I'm not working, I'm at home with my partner, Michelle, and our children Peder, 7, and Oliver and Annika, 4, and two kitties. Our lives our centered by our community of faith: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (two blocks west of Wrigley Field ). We love our church and are so proud of the ELCA! Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of this church.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page that I also have the good pleasure to edit.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
Michigan congregations love a good bus ride
- Leading through service
Young adults choose volunteer opportunities over worship
- Dollar by dollar
... drives them toward New Orleans
- Agnes would have said 'yes'
... to a baptism and a funeral
- Paper pantry
Michigan church fills a niche need
- A resurrection story
As one church closes, another rises from the ashes
- A beacon of peace, welcome
Men from group home are 'part of the family'
- Cross your heart
and keep a secret
- Give 'joy' this season
First, recycle a building; second, restore Christmas
- Gifts to remember
Memories show the value of simplicity in our giving
- Knit one, give too
Musical reflects the joy of giving
- 'Holy Hot Dish'
Serving meals makes sister congregations grow
- And a pluck, and a strike and a blow ...
It's the St. Luke Bottle Band
- It's about grace
From childhood into retirement, pastor has penned welcome
- A miracle in Kansas
Dwell in the word, then in the kitchen
- Promoting health
Following these steps could save clergy-parishioner relationships
- Bullying the pastor
Incivility is on the rise — in congregations too
- Making a 'stand' for Scripture
Every family at Minnesota congregation gets a Bible holder
- Celebrating Valentine's Day
Congregations go caroling, renew vows & dance
- A few minutes with Elizabeth A. Platz
On being the first ordained Lutheran woman
- Dressing space & servants
Women bound by friendship lift liturgical arts
- Watch Night
Congregation marks New Year with worship
- Feed the call committee
"Being together for that meal every week helped"
- Counting the days of Advent
Here are some ways mark the season in your congregation
- 'A crazy idea' with walls
Luther's Table: coffeehouse by day, pub by night
- Dancing around the 'Bend'
In this small Minnesota town, folks embrace change
- Your camping stories
Tales of faith, love and vocation
- 'Camp changed my life'
Gather around the campfire for some good old memories
- Hagan Hags respond, reunite
Camp Hagen women celebrate 70 years
- A dance of popularity
"JK Wedding Entrance Dance" video continues to make waves
- A place apart
Camps keep the faith while keeping up with the times
- Tales from the church office
- Quake claims future pastor
'Ben spent his last breath singing'
- Going 3 deep
In New England, they're studying '40 days, 3 persons, 1 God'
- Meet 'Fast Eddie'
He'll give you cookies, communion and a $2 bill
- Ramp it up
In Tulsa, Okla., these are the go-to guys for an easier access
- Mixing it up
Roman Catholics find love, community with-gasp!-Lutherans
- Come as you are
For 60 years, this Iowa church has offered drive-in worship
- This senior pastor sleeps on floors
At Ascension in Thousand Oaks, Calif., youth ministry and the youth minister boast longevity
- 'I take thee, Zion ...'
Like a finely tuned marriage, these congregations have survived the years many years
- Yes, there will be snacks
In Wausau, Wis., Senior Luther League hasn't changed much
- Sunday school: It isn't what it used to be
Old: Learning Bible stories. New: Forming, practicing faith
- Communicating hope
Rest in God's promises, go serve your neighbor
- 'Hey coach, I've got a Jesus question'
At this church, adults attend Sunday school, men teach
- 'Grace Matters' canceled
Part of $1.5 million churchwide cuts
- Downside of worship
Average worship attendance plummets here's a glimpse why
- Congregations: They come in all sizes
But it's not as simple as tall, grande and venti
- Pray it forward
South Dakota congregation will pray for you just ask
- Has technology made it worse?
Being disrespectful has never been easier
- Pay(ing) pal
Two teenagers a world apart attend school one paying for the other
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- Park ranger memorial service streaming live
- Ranger’s memorial service announced
- Stan Olson named Wartburg Seminary president
- 'Fast Eddie' Soistman dies in car accident
- Pamela Jolicoeur, president of Concordia College, dies
- Summer is here!
- Good health means less screen time
- A no-brainer: use the lunch hour
- A 'dignified and respectful' recovery
- Larson body located
- A Reformation gift
- Fighting hunger with words & wallets
- As for me and my church, we'll stay AND give!
- Menopause Ministry
- Please, give me some good news!
- How will you change the world?
- Wedding procession at ELCA church a YouTube sensation
- Cronkite: from acolyte to anchor
- A hootenanny is like church?
- Doctor shot Sunday morning at ELCA church
- A virtual tip of the hat
- Lutheran publications, authors, designers win awards for 2008 work
- Seafarers in the spotlight
- Shaking out the house
- LVC gets a nod from Michelle Obama
- God's holy joke
- Craigslist killer gets life in prison; victim's family responds
- Hail, hail this freelancer's life
- Finally a bat mitzvah!
- Facebook for good
- A handwritten letter
- Laughing with Lutherans
- Insomnia for Obama
- Remember the poor
- Ohio: Close Obama encounter
- Dash & ellipsis: confessions of an overuser
- Pennies for peace
- ELCA Youth Gathering half full
- Celebrate with song
- One in a billion!
- Obama an honorary Lutheran?
- In praise of quilts & camps
- Obama worships with ELCA congregation
- Memory makers
- Summertime rituals
- Dancing with Matt
- Saving lives
- You can go home again...
- Missing Aunt Hannah