Julie B. Sevig
When I'm not working, I'm at home with my partner, Michelle, and our children Peder, 7, and Oliver and Annika, 4, and two kitties. Our lives our centered by our community of faith: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (two blocks west of Wrigley Field ). We love our church and are so proud of the ELCA! Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of this church.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page that I also have the good pleasure to edit.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
- 'Holy Hot Dish'
Serving meals makes sister congregations grow
- Knit one, give too
Musical reflects the joy of giving
- And a pluck, and a strike and a blow ...
It's the St. Luke Bottle Band
- A miracle in Kansas
Dwell in the word, then in the kitchen
- It's about grace
From childhood into retirement, pastor has penned welcome
- Promoting health
Following these steps could save clergy-parishioner relationships
- Bullying the pastor
Incivility is on the rise — in congregations too
- Celebrating Valentine's Day
Congregations go caroling, renew vows & dance
- Making a 'stand' for Scripture
Every family at Minnesota congregation gets a Bible holder
- Feed the call committee
"Being together for that meal every week helped"
- A few minutes with Elizabeth A. Platz
On being the first ordained Lutheran woman
- Dressing space & servants
Women bound by friendship lift liturgical arts
- Watch Night
Congregation marks New Year with worship
- Counting the days of Advent
Here are some ways mark the season in your congregation
- 'A crazy idea' with walls
Luther's Table: coffeehouse by day, pub by night
- Dancing around the 'Bend'
In this small Minnesota town, folks embrace change
- A dance of popularity
"JK Wedding Entrance Dance" video continues to make waves
- A place apart
Camps keep the faith while keeping up with the times
- Your camping stories
Tales of faith, love and vocation
- 'Camp changed my life'
Gather around the campfire for some good old memories
- Hagan Hags respond, reunite
Camp Hagen women celebrate 70 years
- Tales from the church office
- Going 3 deep
In New England, they're studying '40 days, 3 persons, 1 God'
- Quake claims future pastor
'Ben spent his last breath singing'
- Meet 'Fast Eddie'
He'll give you cookies, communion and a $2 bill
- Ramp it up
In Tulsa, Okla., these are the go-to guys for an easier access
- Mixing it up
Roman Catholics find love, community with-gasp!-Lutherans
- Come as you are
For 60 years, this Iowa church has offered drive-in worship
- This senior pastor sleeps on floors
At Ascension in Thousand Oaks, Calif., youth ministry and the youth minister boast longevity
- 'I take thee, Zion ...'
Like a finely tuned marriage, these congregations have survived the years many years
- Yes, there will be snacks
In Wausau, Wis., Senior Luther League hasn't changed much
- 'Hey coach, I've got a Jesus question'
At this church, adults attend Sunday school, men teach
- Sunday school: It isn't what it used to be
Old: Learning Bible stories. New: Forming, practicing faith
- Communicating hope
Rest in God's promises, go serve your neighbor
- 'Grace Matters' canceled
Part of $1.5 million churchwide cuts
- Downside of worship
Average worship attendance plummets here's a glimpse why
- Congregations: They come in all sizes
But it's not as simple as tall, grande and venti
- Pray it forward
South Dakota congregation will pray for you just ask
- Has technology made it worse?
Being disrespectful has never been easier
- Pay(ing) pal
Two teenagers a world apart attend school one paying for the other
- South Dakota's flying bishop
David Zellmer gets around in a Cessna P210
- Bless this fish ... and those who caught it
Washington congregation pauses each year to Bless the Fleet
- Road trip!
'Church Basement Ladies' now on tour
- More reader views
Additional responses to the reader call regarding worship
- Worship wishes & woes
Readers respond to what they want, need in worship
- A year after
The 35W bridge collapse, Ron Engebretsen says, 'God continues to be gracious to us'
- Rice for dinner
At Minneapolis congregation, families can count on this ...
- Symbols of peace
- Boomer faith
- Hugger, shaker ... peacemaker?
Magazine's readers share their views on passing the peace
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- Park ranger memorial service streaming live
- Ranger’s memorial service announced
- Stan Olson named Wartburg Seminary president
- 'Fast Eddie' Soistman dies in car accident
- Pamela Jolicoeur, president of Concordia College, dies
- Summer is here!
- Good health means less screen time
- A no-brainer: use the lunch hour
- A 'dignified and respectful' recovery
- Larson body located
- A Reformation gift
- Fighting hunger with words & wallets
- As for me and my church, we'll stay AND give!
- Menopause Ministry
- Please, give me some good news!
- How will you change the world?
- Wedding procession at ELCA church a YouTube sensation
- Cronkite: from acolyte to anchor
- A hootenanny is like church?
- Doctor shot Sunday morning at ELCA church
- A virtual tip of the hat
- Lutheran publications, authors, designers win awards for 2008 work
- Seafarers in the spotlight
- Shaking out the house
- LVC gets a nod from Michelle Obama
- God's holy joke
- Craigslist killer gets life in prison; victim's family responds
- Hail, hail this freelancer's life
- Finally a bat mitzvah!
- Facebook for good
- A handwritten letter
- Laughing with Lutherans
- Insomnia for Obama
- Remember the poor
- Ohio: Close Obama encounter
- Dash & ellipsis: confessions of an overuser
- Pennies for peace
- ELCA Youth Gathering half full
- Celebrate with song
- One in a billion!
- Obama an honorary Lutheran?
- In praise of quilts & camps
- Obama worships with ELCA congregation
- Memory makers
- Summertime rituals
- Dancing with Matt
- Saving lives
- You can go home again...
- Missing Aunt Hannah