I'm an associate editor for The Lutheran. I also serve as editor of The Little Lutheran and its sister publication, The Little Christian. Both are intended to nurture the faith of people aged 6 and younger. Check it out, subscribe and let us know what you think. Amber Leberman (who art directs the children's magazines) and I are open to making changes based on your suggestions.
My favorite part of this calling is leaving my desk to visit other ELCA members who serve in congregations and church-related ministries. I enjoy hearing about their vocations, joys, challenges, and how Christ keeps them going.
I attend Holy Family Lutheran Church in Chicago, with my two sons, ages 6 and 3, who love stories, music and the church—just like their mom.
Articles by Elizabeth Hunter:
- At 6:33 p.m....
One congregation knows what all of its members are doing
- Something to crow about
Animal therapy results in prize-winning project
- Hospitality: It takes guts
Are we up to the challenge?
- 'A lot to give'
ELCA-affiliated Mosaic serves seniors with developmental disabilities
- Disaster personal for ELCA leader
When global disaster recovery is your job, what happens when tragedy hits home?
- Hearts for Haiti
Generosity, grief and hope span the ELCA
- Paying it forward
This includes thanking God, say U.S. and Tanzanian Lutherans
- First step: Just show up
Then ask this of social media: Why do it?
- 'No one person owns the ministry'
Lutherans in Peru 'get' youth ministry
- Council cuts $7.7 million, churchwide staff
Eases reinstatement process for some clergy
- CORE taking a discernment year
Members may stay or leave, speakers say
- By leaps and bounds
Future leaders learn healthy habits can begin at seminary
- Market downturn leads to pension changes
- They were 'cool'
In Argentina, a Lutheran ministry creates community, with a 'loud' voice
- 'Grace Matters' canceled
Part of $1.5 million churchwide cuts
- Toward church unity
The state and future of ecumenism in the ELCA
- Crisis affects ELCA schools
- Going 'trayless'
ELCA colleges embrace green trend
- Women 'come to the waters'
Women of the ELCA triennial participants hear calls for bold action
- 'Growing seed' from The Little Lutheran
- Door openers
Emerging churches renew Lutheran traditions & provide new entry points
- ELCA Church Council affirms malaria work
- Emergents: A sense of play
- Peace at last?
In Uganda, Lutherans walk with war-torn people
- Draft of human sexuality social statement due in March
Church in Society staff offer a primer on the document
- Why not child sponsorship?
A Q&A with ELCA World Hunger Appeal director Kathryn Sime
- Where Lutheran heritage comes alive
For youth, Lutheran Summer Music builds musical excellence, camaraderie
- Augsburg students 'step up'
College housing and counseling support students in recovery
- A surprising new role
David Swartling prepares for his work as ELCA secretary
- Churchwide Assembly to elect officers
Range of concerns to come before voting members
- Taking the weekend 'off'
Camp Onomia offers military families a free July 4th break
- Campus ministry supported her after Virginia Tech shootings
- 'We're your daughters'
Winnipeg consultation educates Lutherans about commercial sexual exploitation
- ELCA college forms Luther House of Study
- Tips for praying with young children
- ELCA sees rise in number of ministry candidates
- A Q&A with the LWF's Sheila Shyamprasad
- Pentecost calling
Nebraska congregation has an odd beginning, but is off to a good start
- It's about Scripture
Reform-minded groups argue authority
- LWF membership rose to 66.2 million in 2005
- What's in a name?
Branding leaves its mark on ELCA social service providers
- LIRS and ELCA bishops protest House immigration bill
- Council: Synod resolution conflicts with policy
- Laureate: All of us can do something
Nobel Peace Prize Forum connects environment with peace
- 'We let them know they have power'
Lutheran-supported ministry boosts health of women in Chile
- Grand Canyon bishop resigns over sexual misconduct
- To prevent famine, Kenyan Lutherans seek help
- One year after the tsunami
ELCA partners see results and much work ahead
- Future leaders: Kimberly Vaughn, 37
- Church Council discusses maintaining trust
Topics range from worship to funding, governance and discipline
Blogs by Elizabeth Hunter: (Read All)
- Thrivent to serve more Christians
- Wisconsin synod continues to express grief
- Leadership resignations follow seminary deficit
- Portico Benefit Services approves annuity increases for 2013
- ELCA response to Sandy will continue 'until the work is done,' says ELCA Presiding Bishop
- D. Jensen Seyenkulo, churchwide staff, elected bishop, Lutheran Church in Liberia
- Illustrator Chris Raschka wins a second Caldecott Medal
- PLTS and CLU explore possible merger
- Mission support update
- Lutheran peacemaker Leymah Gbowee wins Nobel Peace Prize
- A 'debt of gratitude': Church executive Dorothy Marple dies
- Canadian Lutherans open doors to gay marriage and pastors
- Gettysburg and Luther seminaries will join forces
- First female presiding bishop for Norway's Lutherans
- ELCA: $30 million malaria campaign 'not feasible'
- Midland Lutheran College to become Midland University
- Florida Lutherans' interreligious efforts no publicity stunt
- Timeline announced for churchwide restructuring
- LCMS President-elect calls ELCA relations 'complex'
- ELCA Church Council trims churchwide budget by $4.2 million
- ELCA-affiliated Dana College shuts down
- Southeast Michigan bishop resigns
- How much of health is our guts?
- You go, girl!
- Healthy travel
- No eggs, no oil, no sugar... how could it be any good?
- How clean is our air?
- Retirees, employees sue Augsburg Fortress over pensions
- Salmon, anyone?
- Diet transplant
- Celebrating 35
- Happy spring!
- Woman killed at Calvary Lutheran, Federal Way, Wash.
- Dana College sold; will become for-profit
- Thrivent matching Haiti gifts, $1 for every $2
- Haiti: prayer with news
- In the aftershock, Haiti donations roll in
- Wartburg Seminary student's status unconfirmed after Haiti quake
- Pacifica Synod faces budget cuts
- Southeastern Synod may cut grants, staff
- A hole in the roof
- Alaska: Lutheran Social Services to help homeless people
- The Economist comments on ELCA, CORE
- Civility, for Sept. 11
- Lutheran pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer: the first martyr recognized by United Methodists
- Church names: Protestants have more leeway
- At Croatian cafe, youth don't pay up. They "pray up."
- Some top 2007 religion stories reflect reader picks for '08
- Would you text in church?