Sonia C. Solomonson
She grew up on an Iowa farm, spent five years as a missionary in Papua New Guinea, many years as a clergy spouse, raised her three sons in Wisconsin and now lives in Chicago.
She loves stories and loves to write. She never met a bookstore she didn't like, and is guilty of always adding "just one more book" to her shelves. Her reading runs the gamut from theological/spiritual to historical to fiction.
She says All Saints Lutheran Church, Palatine, Ill., and the bright, engaging women in its Chapter One book club gets her read some books she might not otherwise pick up. A recent continuing ed program, Grace Institute, added lots of new readings in spirituality and theology. This wonderful spiritual formation program was a real gift and blessing in her life.
Articles by Sonia C. Solomonson:
- Egertson resigns as bishop
Bishops ask him to step down after his participation in 'irregular ordination'
- Asian Lutherans: What are the challenges?
- Council recommends CCM exception to Churchwide Assembly
ELCA Church Council weaves path between ELCA unity and full communion commitments
- 'The best layman I can be'
Chicago WGN Radio farm broadcaster Orion Samuelson sees his job as a ministry
- Council discusses CCM, ministry exceptions
Vote on CCM constitutional changes slated for April meeting
- 'God is powerful ... and gentle'
ELCA teens share their views on faith
- ELCA health-care costs jump
Rate increases will vary congregation to congregation
- ELCA Church Council discusses homosexuality
Members use moral deliberation techniques to engage the issue
- Methodists keep status quo on homosexuality
- Ecumenical hospitality
- 'We can't just be spectators'
Juvenile prostitution and the sex industry are flourishing. But we can protect our children.
- Church Council moves CCM ahead
Actions include room for future joint discussions on exceptions to CCM for ordination
- A family affair
Lutherans and Moravians renew ties in full communion celebration
- Council seeks reconciliation with CCM opponents
- A 'light-bulb ministry'
Overseas medical facilities thrive because Global Health Ministries begs
- ELCA health-care cost-sharing approved
- Bega kwa bega
When a load is too heavy for one person, several people will stand shoulder-to-shoulder (bega kwa bega) to carry it
- What's up down on the farm?
Because you eat, you'rw affected by what happens to Illinois farmers Verle and Janice Jacobs
- ELCA gathers in the Rockies
Assembly voting members will focus on ecumenical agreements, economic life, hunger and other issues
- Cradled in God's hand
Rituals remind us that all of life rests in God's care
- Can we cancel developing nations' debts?
Jubilee 2000 gathers support and raises questions among Lutherans
- 'Join us in historic episcopate'
'We appreciate our differences with Anglicans,' the Swedish archbishop says
- ELCA Church Council seeks clarity
- Celebrating diversity
Diversity isn't a new direction for the ELCA
- Churchwide assembly next stop
ELCA-Episcopal proposal ready for next step
- Reclaim Advent
This creative exercise will help you 'prepare the way'
- Dakota farmers protest
Are U.S. trade agreements and policies fair to our farmers? Some don't think so.
- Global events communicate hope
Through stories, song and drama, participants span the globe
- If you're divorcing ...
- I needed hugs and hot dishes
Divorce is death but the corpse is still alive
- ELCA campus, churches pick up the pieces
- Good news for a singing church
New hymnals and supplements build on the riches of the Lutheran Book of Worship.
- The ties that bind?
ELCA programs help people with relationships from pre-marriage to divorce and beyond
- A huge network with heart
- Aging successfully
Pennsylvania's Lutheran Affiliated Services offers creative ministry for seniors based on a view of aging as a positive part of the life cycle
- 'Option of last resort'
- Ministry to 'forgotten people'
Lutherans link with others to serve refugees in Thailand
- Building churches, making friends
Whatever your gifts, you can use them as a Mission Builder
- 'A brick wrapped in velvet'
ELCA leaders call Addie Butler a gift to the church for a new era
- Liberian pastor: 'We need to forgive'
- Valuing families
People are finding ways to nurture families no matter their make-up
- Partnership in Patrocenio
You are connected to farmers in Mindanao, the Philippines, a nature-lover's island of paradise
- 3 Reformed churches say 'yes' to full communion
The next move is the ELCA's at its Churchwide Assembly Aug. 14-20
- Lutherans will gather in historic Philadelphia
The Churchwide Assembly faces history-making decisions on three ecumenical proposals
- 'The last word' in Liberia
Disarmament and election's promise bring cautious hope to Liberians
- Creating a 'salad bowl church'
Retiring Division for Outreach head hopes for a church inclusive of culture and class
- Place of peace, place of struggle
A Southwestern Minnesota Synod farm creates space for rural conversation
- ELCA Vice President Magnus resigns
Campus ministry efforts to be reviewed
- Can't we all just get along?
A look at the ELCA reveals a good news/bad news report
- No farming
Cambodian farms yield deadly harvests of land mines and unexploded ordnance, not rice and vegetables
Blogs by Sonia C. Solomonson: (Read All)
- It's been great
- Forgiveness is tough
- God and gardens
- A role to cherish
- What's ahead?
- The lost and least
- Reaching out
- Grace happens
- Memorial Day revisited
- Drenched in grace
- Celebrating freedom
- Embracing change
- Ministries Aplenty
- Everyday prayers
- Prayers from the workplace
- Paths of least resistance
- What do we want?
- Children and faith
- Songs of life
- Price points and faith
- Make 'em count
- Kentucky: Ice storm adds to economic woes
- Shishmaref in trouble
- Gifts of Advent
- A prayer life
- In all things, give thanks
- Staying healthy
- Food for thoughtâ€”or fertilizer?
- Peace in these days
- Passing the crozier
- Nurturing faith in children
- Service Part II
- Is service dead?
- Family values
- Experiences of depression
- Vocation and ministry
- Mary and Martha
- 'Foretaste of the feast to come'
- Where are they?
- Making a life transition
- Imago Dei
- Why Mother's Day?
- Final decisions
- Leading with fear