Kathleen retired from The Lutheran in fall of 2009.
The part of Kathy's job as editor of the People & Faith section that she liked best was working with terrific freelancers, which just might have something to do with the fact that she wrote for the magazine for 18 years before joining the staff in 1992.
She lives in Evanston, just north of Chicago, with her husband, Bill. They met there as undergrads at Northwestern University — at the Lutheran Center, probably the only place on campus where a journalism student and a tech student would cross paths.
Their two grown sons live in Chicago: Will and his wife, Jodi, and Dan.
Kathleen and her husband are members of St. Paul Lutheran Church. One Saturday a month she works as a volunteer salesperson at 10,000 Village, a fair-trade store that is part of a nationwide network sponsored by the Mennonite Central Committee where all the goods are made by craftspeople from the developing world. She particularly enjoy it because my travel for the magazine has brought me to many of the countries involved — from Bolivia to Thailand.
Articles by Kathleen Kastilahn:
- 'Build bridges among the faith communities'
William E. Lesher, ELCA pastor and chair, board of trustees, 2009 Parliament of the World's Religions
- 'We want peace for all people'
Ann Helmke, ELCA pastor and director, peaceCENTER of San Antonio
- From Latvia, with parables
Rubenis uses parables to point the way
- 'Lord, teach us to pray'
- Learning to dream
Children in Laos 'see' a better life
- Chasing down a rumor
- 'The Lutheran' editor resigns
David L. Miller will join the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
- The people right next door
- What Desmond Tutu taught me about counting sheep
- Jesus is risen!
- 'Purpose-Driven' and Lutheran, too
Eric Burtness tells what we can learn and why we should
- Making Pepparkakor
- Music for waiting
- Ministry at The EDGE
Art gallery draws students to stop and see
- Young and alone
Refugee children find new families through LIRS
- JÃ³venes y solos
Los niÃ±os refugiados encuentran nuevas familias por medio del LIRS
- When religion becomes evil
A teach-in with Charles Kimball
- First-time war protester in 'moral minority'
- 'They're the future'
- Cassava for a change
- Zimbabwe arrest
Pondering the positive
- Helping hands
- Well done!
- Saturday night live
- Church supper
- Struggling for life
Church development work brings hope in hard times
- Joined at the heart
Kathy's detention reveals the strength of our worldwide communion
- Homes away from home
Foster care through Lutheran Services in America provides these for children separated from their parents
- Serving the first slice
Community kitchen finds new way to feed the poor
- Sunday loaves
- 'Grace' alone not enough
- Minn. floods damage homes, churches
- O, Jerusalem!
How can the violence be stopped in this holy city and in the Middle East?
- What do you say ...
to your kids when they tell you they're afraid?/i>
- Treating the burns of stress
- 'I can pray'
- 'I held the cup'
Serving communion gave widow joy'
- Lessons from the desert
- Stopping traffic
LWR boosts effort to halt Indian bride trade
- Pass it on
The way to keep the faith is to speak it, share it, spread it
- Chaplain creates artful retirement
- The story behind Seven Stanzas
- It's time to rebuild
Lutherans in Granite Falls, Minn., cope with tornado damage
- Diversity would be 'heavenly'
- Monday clinic
The week begins with check-ups and love at an AIDS ministry center in Thailand
- Off on the right foot for 2000
- Marked for God
Malaysian Lutherans take the gospel to mountain people
- Asian Lutherans form international network
It was a mountaintop event
- Inside Jean LemMon's Better Homes
'The secret of our success is simply love,' says the editor of the world's largest family life magazine
Blogs by Kathleen Kastilahn: (Read All)
- Don't sit down
- LSTC's Zygon head elected bishop in Sweden
- Growing pastors on the Northern Plains
- Walking where 'the stones breathe'
- Popeye's problem?
- Lutherans not growing...
- 'Life still tough for Katrina survivors'
- Back to campus...ministry
- S.D. bishop opposes execution
- Of planes and passengers
- Dissentersâ€”then and now
- Waiting for Flight 8611
- New words for a new child
- Remember when?
- Summer Sundays: Livin' too easy?
- Fishin' on the highways
- Summer Sundaysâ€”on the road, in church?
- Plans for Memorial Day?
- Happy birth day!
- Was Mary Magdalene a mother?
- Where in the world?
- "...a life beyond"
- Clicks & connections
- "A planet in jeopardy"
- World Water Dayâ€”everyday
- Today, "Everybody's Irish!"
- The Lutheran Updike
- Buy a barn or a baby quilt
- Waking up in Laos
- Remembering well?
- It's getting easier being green
- War or peace?
- Green again
- Go in peace, Mac
- This remarkable Thanksgiving
- Another tsunami coming
- Late fall along the lake
- Hearing Joan Baez tonight
- 'After Katrina'
- 'This land is your land, '
- The feeding of the 25,000
- Such comfortable beds!
- Little things really do mean a lot
- 'It's a small world ...'
- Off to Orlando
- Wedding wishes
- Keeping the Ten Commandments
- Back from Botswana
- Where are the bikers?