I've worked at The Lutheran magazine for eleven years. I manage this website, art-direct The Little Lutheran, and serve on the art team for The Lutheran. I also manage the websites for The Little Lutheran and The Little Christian.
I also do occasional reporting for The Lutheran. International reporting trips have taken me to Jerusalem, Ramallah, Barcelona, Cairo, Beirut and a tiny village outside Madang, Papua New Guinea.
I earned degrees in magazine journalism and religious studies from the University of Missouri-Columbia. Before I joined the staff of The Lutheran I worked at the Chicago Tribune and The Wheaton [Ill.] Sun.
I enjoy working out, backpacking, reading (fiction, biographies, theology), lost-wax casting and cooking.
Articles by Amber Leberman:
- Beyond technology
Mission-inspired strategies make social media manageable
- We've relaunched
The Lutheran's website has a fresh look.
- A backpacker's psalm
- Greeting the new year less anxiously
- How Tweet it was
The 2009 Churchwide Assembly — in 140 characters
- Reconnection and reconciliation on Facebook
- Papua New Guinea's dynamite women
Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman inspires Lutherans to challenge their cultures
- An oasis in Cairo
Ministry provides opportunities for Sudanese refugees
- On goldfish
- Praying for strength
Contact and Resource Center helps people with disabilities after war in Lebanon
- "Whoever has two coats ..."
- Future tax resolution for Augusta Victoria?
- Palestinian financial crisis affects hospital, schools
- And the envelope goes to ...
The Lutheran picks 13 winners in church Web site contest
- Funding crisis a danger for LWF hospital in Jerusalem
- A poem for Maundy Thursday
- Infinite doubt, infinite hope
- A benediction for Emlyn
- Checking the vitals of Churchwide Assembly attendees
- 'It's a mystery'
Peace & war bookend Bible translation
- Playing dead on Wednesdays
- Music for waiting
- The communion of saints
We celebrate the living and the dead
- The edge of mission
What does it mean to be a Lutheran in a world of religions?
- Feeding the 3,000
Sikhs serve up an 'ethic of care' with langar, free lunch
- No such thing as bad rain
A figure of speech and a lesson during a rainstorm in Ramallah
- Methodists face separation, affirm unity
- Spiritual gifts and the Giver
Discovering our gifts helps us learn 'God really knows who we are'
- Skills to weather 'rainy' days
Palestinian students learn skilled trades at Lutheran vocational school
- Changing neighborhood
- Avoiding the dark area of frustration
Palestinian students at Lutheran schools persevere despite the challenges of West Bank occupation
- Calling home to Baghdad
- The hills are alive
- Seeing Christ in the children
Making peace in families means fighting the wars against poverty, violence and racism
- Islamic short course
A look at what Muslims believe
- 'God's agent, disguised as a hairdresser'
- How is your faith today?
- Giving and forgiving
Synods help indebted congregations expand their missions
- Presbyterian court upholds same-sex unions
- ELCA continues support of Million Mom March
Blogs by Amber Leberman: (Read All)
- Children of Abraham
- Chicago Tribune features jazz worship at ELCA churches
- By the numbers
- Des Moines Register features Lutheran Lenten practices
- What's your number?
- Online NewsHour features Lutheran chaplain MeLinda Morton
- Update: Roman Catholics join Lutherans to promote self-sufficiency in Iowa
- FBI investigates defacement of Lutheran congregation
- Dean Johnson, Minn. state senator and ELCA pastor, featured in AP article on gay marriage
- Love & smelt
- Congregation's free clinic illustrates post-Katrina tension
- Two Pacific Lutheran University students attacked in past week
- Lutheran bishop Paarma calls cartoons "thoughtless"
- 7,000-member congregation featured in Des Moines Register
- Freedom & responsibility
- Lutheran pastor recalls Coretta Scott King
- Oh, tiddlywinks!
- Boston Globe features synod bishop on church financial disclosures
- Congregation plans Zeidler Center for Public Discussion
- Online community?
- Two pastors of different opinions about homosexuality featured in the Kansas City Star
- It's Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Family plans memorial service for hostage
- New at The Lutheran
- Eucharistic sharing featured in the Plain-Dealer
- Twins left at Lutheran church placed with foster family
- Muhlenberg College ornithologist says birds can't see windows
- Happy New Year
- Dear reader,
- A night owl gives thanks for the Sabbath
- Bricks, mortar, and so much more
- Doing Advent differently
- "...throw something at them."
- Nine years and counting ...
- The dog-eared days of summer
- What goes around ...
- tell me what's your number / what's your new address *
- I scream, you scream ...
- Talk back!
- "And he doesn't even ..."
- One year later ...
- So much more ...
- Batman Begins
- Your responses are welcome
- Our new look
- New & improved