Julie B. Sevig
I joined the staff in 2000 as a section editor, and have had the great privilege of writing and editing hundreds of stories about congregations of the ELCA. My family belongs to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chicago. Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of the ELCA.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
- Communicating hope
Rest in God's promises, go serve your neighbor
- 'Grace Matters' canceled
Part of $1.5 million churchwide cuts
- Downside of worship
Average worship attendance plummets here's a glimpse why
- Congregations: They come in all sizes
But it's not as simple as tall, grande and venti
- Has technology made it worse?
Being disrespectful has never been easier
- Pray it forward
South Dakota congregation will pray for you just ask
- Pay(ing) pal
Two teenagers a world apart attend school one paying for the other
- South Dakota's flying bishop
David Zellmer gets around in a Cessna P210
- Bless this fish ... and those who caught it
Washington congregation pauses each year to Bless the Fleet
- Road trip!
'Church Basement Ladies' now on tour
- More reader views
Additional responses to the reader call regarding worship
- Worship wishes & woes
Readers respond to what they want, need in worship
- A year after
The 35W bridge collapse, Ron Engebretsen says, 'God continues to be gracious to us'
- Rice for dinner
At Minneapolis congregation, families can count on this ...
- Symbols of peace
- Boomer faith
- Hugger, shaker ... peacemaker?
Magazine's readers share their views on passing the peace
- A feast for all?
Most readers say the trend toward lower communion age is a good thing
- Me preach?
Colorado pastor, congregation renewed by lay preachers
- Women to women
Delaware congregation reaches across the world with sophisticated sale
- A souvenir ... cartoon?
At the Global Mission Event, humor & hunger meet on the sketch pad
- 'It's what we do'
Gift-giving in California goes beyond the ordinary and across the world
- Project Prom
ELCA Youth Gathering plants seed for community service
- Mother mentors
- Exit strategy
And you thought there was only one way to leave this life
- The final goodbye
Death and taxes are constant, but funerals are changing
- Do you believe this?
- Christmas miracle
Bismarck, N.D., businessman gets the ball rolling for the homeless
- For all the worriers
- Why they stay...or leave
Those who remain wait & work for change
- Celebrating freedom
- Sixteen candles
Congregation's prayers 'burn' for its young people
- The challenge and promise of a new family tree
- Write ... and hear this!
Members of a writing group want to leave 'more than a tombstone'
- Natural jump
'I'm Pastor So-and-So and, yes, I was a camp counselor'
- Beyond BTK
Wichita pastor: Blessings amid 'the muck and mire'
- Caring for survivors?
Listen, listen, listen and listen'
- Blessings all around
Urbana, Ill., congregation provides for twodisplaced families
- Youth ministry comes in all sizes
- On the road ...
with Norma Cook Everist
- Beef-buying as ministry
Montana congregation puts its money where its youth are: the county fair
- It's summertime...
and the livin'(in some congregations) is about outreach
- If grace is true...
What do you say to your brother on the night before his execution?
- Finally a Lutheran
Take it from Dorothy: You're never too old for confirmation
- It's not your grandmother's confirmation
This rite of spring (or fall) needs to change or, egads, disappear!
- Pastor charged with soliciting sex from 14-year-old
- Images of hope
Congregation echoes pastor: 'Not the Dennis Rader I know'
- Creative outreach: Grace extended
In this little space on the shores of Lake Michigan, all are welcome
- A matter of access
- Living in the shadow of John 3:16
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- ELCA publications win awards
- Park ranger memorial service streaming live
- Ranger’s memorial service announced
- Stan Olson named Wartburg Seminary president
- 'Fast Eddie' Soistman dies in car accident
- Pamela Jolicoeur, president of Concordia College, dies
- Summer is here!
- Good health means less screen time
- A no-brainer: use the lunch hour
- A 'dignified and respectful' recovery
- Larson body located
- A Reformation gift
- Fighting hunger with words & wallets
- As for me and my church, we'll stay AND give!
- Menopause Ministry
- Please, give me some good news!
- How will you change the world?
- Wedding procession at ELCA church a YouTube sensation
- Cronkite: from acolyte to anchor
- A hootenanny is like church?
- Doctor shot Sunday morning at ELCA church
- A virtual tip of the hat
- Lutheran publications, authors, designers win awards for 2008 work
- Seafarers in the spotlight
- Shaking out the house
- LVC gets a nod from Michelle Obama
- Craigslist killer gets life in prison; victim's family responds
- God's holy joke
- Hail, hail this freelancer's life
- Finally a bat mitzvah!
- Facebook for good
- A handwritten letter
- Laughing with Lutherans
- Insomnia for Obama
- Remember the poor
- Ohio: Close Obama encounter
- Dash & ellipsis: confessions of an overuser
- Pennies for peace
- ELCA Youth Gathering half full
- Celebrate with song
- One in a billion!
- Obama an honorary Lutheran?
- In praise of quilts & camps
- Obama worships with ELCA congregation
- Memory makers
- Summertime rituals
- Dancing with Matt
- Saving lives
- You can go home again...