Julie B. Sevig
I joined the staff in 2000 as a section editor, and have had the great privilege of writing and editing hundreds of stories about congregations of the ELCA. My family belongs to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chicago. Every time I pick up the newest issue of our magazine, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be part of the ELCA.
I've also written two books: Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers (Morehouse, 2007) — table prayers for families with young children; and Laughing with Lutherans (Skandisk, Inc., 2008), 20 years of the best of the The Lutheran's "Light side" page.
Articles by Julie B. Sevig:
- Ashes to go
- Poetry takes center stage in NYC
— in April and every month
- Starting fresh
Readers tell what they’ve tossed — and even how cleaning has revived mission
- Starry Advent night
- Ice cream evangelism
- 'Gifts for Jesus'
Take a cue from the magi this Epiphany
- Outhouse on the move
In Kerkhoven, Minn., they're sending kids to Detroit with a check and some chuckles
- 'Showers of Blessing'
Church & community address hygiene among homeless
- 10w: The way to start your day
- Mothers, friends & a connection to last a lifetime
- Five minutes with the Divine
- What’s the buzz?
This congregation in Washington, D.C., will tell you
- Bugs & boogie-woogie
- Readers ramp it up on fifth Sundays
- Bless this skier
- ‘The best conversation ever’
Lutherans lead in advance directives
- Lenten ‘Hunger Hunt’
Chicago kids hunt for, and buy, animals
- A certificate to cherish
- Art as Lenten discipline
- Pack the pew
- Joy to the world all year round
- Not a cradle Lutheran?
- Super Roll Sunday
- A profitable pairing
Chili & snowmobiling
- ‘Good for Your Sole Sunday’
- Trinity Growers: Ready for harvest
- Operation Christmas
In Hayward, Wis., more than 800 will receive Lutheran cheer
- Giving thanks — and good gifts
- Making malaria known
- Catchy adult education
- Sending moms & kids to camp
- A mission ‘trip’ that stays home
- A barrel of blessings
- VBS with a twist
- Hymnals to angels
- Family business
Father, daughter serve as lay leaders in Montana, New York
- With God we can!
- Pillows for patients
- Summertime Jesus
- ‘S’ is for service
In Omaha, what was once VBS is now LYSO
- Just One More rescues food & souls
- Diaper Depot
- Soon it will be time to 'Prepent'
- Brats N More
- In S.C., Easter means worship on the beach, pancakes
- Cookies for inmates
- Ashes at the train stop
- Use Lent to count blessings and coins
- For these pastors a name is (usually) a good fit
- Livestock instead of lilies
Blogs by Julie B. Sevig: (Read All)
- ELCA publications win awards
- Park ranger memorial service streaming live
- Ranger’s memorial service announced
- Stan Olson named Wartburg Seminary president
- 'Fast Eddie' Soistman dies in car accident
- Pamela Jolicoeur, president of Concordia College, dies
- Summer is here!
- Good health means less screen time
- A no-brainer: use the lunch hour
- A 'dignified and respectful' recovery
- Larson body located
- A Reformation gift
- Fighting hunger with words & wallets
- As for me and my church, we'll stay AND give!
- Menopause Ministry
- Please, give me some good news!
- How will you change the world?
- Wedding procession at ELCA church a YouTube sensation
- Cronkite: from acolyte to anchor
- A hootenanny is like church?
- Doctor shot Sunday morning at ELCA church
- A virtual tip of the hat
- Lutheran publications, authors, designers win awards for 2008 work
- Seafarers in the spotlight
- Shaking out the house
- LVC gets a nod from Michelle Obama
- Craigslist killer gets life in prison; victim's family responds
- God's holy joke
- Hail, hail this freelancer's life
- Finally a bat mitzvah!
- Facebook for good
- A handwritten letter
- Laughing with Lutherans
- Insomnia for Obama
- Remember the poor
- Ohio: Close Obama encounter
- Dash & ellipsis: confessions of an overuser
- Pennies for peace
- ELCA Youth Gathering half full
- Celebrate with song
- One in a billion!
- Obama an honorary Lutheran?
- In praise of quilts & camps
- Obama worships with ELCA congregation
- Memory makers
- Summertime rituals
- Dancing with Matt
- Saving lives
- You can go home again...