A member of Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas, Dworin is also author of The Lutheran's new family faith page: Pass the faith. A former parenting magazine editor, she blogs about the quirky journey of her Lutheran family: Dan, 39; Janine, 11; Ben, 8 and Jillian, 5 at www.thelutheran.org/blog/parenting.
Articles by Diana Dworin:
- Lutherans provide shelter
- Tackling 'stuff clutter'
- Dance With God: Family Ritual and Community Celebration
- Tackling 'spiritual clutter'
- Christmas journey
Las Posadas traditions prompt holiday hospitality
- Lives cluttered
The spiritual practice of shedding stuff
- Hello baby!
Parents can help older children welcome a new sibling to the family
- Looking for the door?
Evaluate family connections before saying goodbye to your congregation
- Committing to confirmation
Parents can help preserve time for teens' faith formation
- Baptized, We Live: Lutheranism as a Way of Life
Book is 'accesible and enjoyable'
- Luggage tags
Remind children of their baptismal identity
- Worship on the road
Family vacations may expand children's sense of the church
- Common Sense Media
Nonpartisan site reviews films, TV shows, sites, apps and games
- Explicit content
Faith frames conversations about pornography
- Prompts for prayer
Parents can help children find daily rhythms for prayers
- The Lord's Prayer
Make it part of your family's routine
- Pausing for Pentecost
Celebrate the Spirit in your family
- Wind chimes
Make a reminder of the arrival of the Spirit
- Make a slingshot
With prudent supervision, it can bring the story of David and Goliath to life
- Dealing with death
Framing it as a natural part of life helps children grieve
- The Fall of Freddie The Leaf: A Story of Life for All Ages
Book "gently" helps children understand death
- A faith like mine
New column features parenting resources that work
- Interreligious explorations
Discovering different religions promotes understanding
- 'Shhhh. Later.'
How parents can help children participate in silence during worship
- Saying 'I'm sorry'
Apologizing to kids teaches forgiveness, reconciliation skills
- Communing children
There isn't a standard practice
- Hit 'pause'
Advent: A gift of waiting
- Table prayer
What are some ideas for having children lead grace?
- Beyond entertaining
Think bigger by practicing hospitality
- Too shy to leave the pew
How parents can help children feel more comfortable at church
- Too much stuff?
How clutter can take a toll on your family's spirituality
- My son's friend goes to the 'big' church
What if my son likes it better than our small, less flashy congregation?
- Say what?
Becoming better listeners takes practice and focus
- Camp homesickness
Parent asks: 'How can I prepare my child for her first time away from home?'
- Family camp
Summer camping programs not just for kids anymore
- Creating spiritual identity
Parents help teach kids to see themselves as children of God
- Celebrating a baptismal birthday
Some ideas for making the day special
- Technology and teenagers
Parents: Take steps to plug into your young person's life
- Choosing a Bible verse
Consider the unique character of your child
- God's love in the nursery
Worship isn't the only place children can experience Christian community
- Meet the Luthers
Martin and Katie: Still role models for today's parents
- Extracurricular fundraising at church
"My son wants to ask for donations at church. What do I tell him?"
- Daily bedtime prayers
Healthy habits for body & soul
- Christian youth clubs
Three ways for parents to gain a better understanding of their youth's involvement
- Tuning out during worship
How can I get my child to particpate?
- Invited to a synagogue
Should I let my son go?
- Contemplative kids
Quiet & stillness dance on the fringe of holy
- My daughter won't sing in church
How can I encourage her?
- Greening of the spirit
Earth-friendly practices can help family stewardship
- What to do about Santa?
Lift up or downplay?
Blogs by Diana Dworin: (Read All)
- Faith & Facebook
- Washing out my raunchy mouth
- Adam's Speedo and Eve's Bikini
- Confessions of a VBS Slacker Mom
- Strangers in the far back pew
- Connections to the church
- A surprise first communion
- Our family's first loss
- Panhandling and parenting
- Live Reporting from National No Name-Calling Week
- What Not to Wear to Church
- "It has to feel real, authentic"
- Of Breath and Beetles
- Three Gifts: Meatloaf, Bedsheets and A Bible
- Finding "Fruit" on the Trampoline
- The Sheep are Restless
- Return of the Glow-In-The-Dark Rosary
- Glow-In-The-Dark Rosary
- Is God From Another Dimension?
- The Children's Moment: A Chance to Mess with Mom
- The Pole Man: Sinner or Saint?
- Ice Cream and Eden
- Grandma Comes to Church
- Storytime with Grandpa
- Playing Hookey
- Mosquitos, Preschoolers and Theology