Sonia C. Solomonson
She grew up on an Iowa farm, spent five years as a missionary in Papua New Guinea, many years as a clergy spouse, raised her three sons in Wisconsin and now lives in Chicago.
She loves stories and loves to write. She never met a bookstore she didn't like, and is guilty of always adding "just one more book" to her shelves. Her reading runs the gamut from theological/spiritual to historical to fiction.
She says All Saints Lutheran Church, Palatine, Ill., and the bright, engaging women in its Chapter One book club gets her read some books she might not otherwise pick up. A recent continuing ed program, Grace Institute, added lots of new readings in spirituality and theology. This wonderful spiritual formation program was a real gift and blessing in her life.
Articles by Sonia C. Solomonson:
- Stamped by patriarchy
Patri-what? What is this and what does it do to women and men?
- Reflecting the neighborhood
- Goodbye, guilt. Hello, better prayer life.
Perhaps it's time to examine our attitudes toward prayer
- Good news and surprises
- Brad Anderson: 'Unleash the power of people'
Best Buy CEO's philosophy echoes Lutheran understanding of vocation
- Two parts faith, one part humor
Do the two mix?
- Mother mentors
- Artist shows Jesus' Jewish heritage
'I want to promote his message of love'
- Mighty fortresses: Visible and invisible walls
'Change happens in the heart, which is where walls begin'
- We are people of the Light
Jesus leads the way
- Praying through Advent
- Angels and answers
- 'I have called you by name'
We are heirs of a wonderful inheritance
- O dearest Jesus
We wait with longing for you, Holy Child
- Called to be 'first-class noticers'
ELCA bishops reflect on identifying and developing leaders
- Give thanks
... in all things
- Challenged, inspired in San Antonio
Dynamic speakers and a dazzling array of events the Women of the ELCA Triennial had it all
- 'Do not ... be afraid'
These days call us to cling to God's promises
- Convention business
- Can we talk?
Terri Schiavo's death suggests tools to plan for end-of-life decisions
- Is self-care selfish?
Diets and exercise make big headlines. But there's much more to care of self.
- A Blessing for New Year's Eve
- Music for waiting
- Two celebrations and a funeral
When my home church closed, we celebrated a life well lived
- 2005 ELCA health-care rates increase 5 percent
- Faith like a mustard seed
When we live each day in God's love and grace, God takes us beyond the possible
- Abundant life in Nepal
Chapagaon Teaching Health Post touches many with Christ's love
- Everyday blessings
Rites and rituals connect us with God's love active in our lives
- Imprint for eternity
My family created lasting memories as we walked with Dad to his final journey
- ELCA health plan promotes wellness
- Enriched by Grace
- Transplanted & blooming
Ione Hanson embraces her new role even as she grieves her old one
- Milwaukee welcomes the ELCA
Churchwide Assembly will take up evangelism and health care, elect a vice president and magazine editor
- Church Council acts on health care, evangelism documents
Group also approves ELCA mission statement and strategic directions
- 'No good options'
- Seasons of grace
In all times, in stillness, God leads us
- Living beloved
What does it mean that God tenderly loves and cherishes us?
- Pension plan balances clergy, congregational needs
Advocacy and health and wellness remain key in future too
- Council follows progress on worship, evangelism, sexuality
Also takes actions on budget, peace and lay leadership
- Health-care costs continue to rise
- Church Council focuses on Middle East, Africa
- I could die or heal
Breaking the silence about clergy sexual abuse begins the healing journey
- Creating a child-friendly world
Thai Christians provide safety from the tourist sex trade
- Religious leaders appeal for U.S. help to end violence in Palestine and Israel
- How we treat pastors: Your responses
The March 'My View' draws strong responses from many readers
- Housing allowance tax benefit in jeopardy
- Council approves funds for sexuality study
Assembly actions on evangelism, sexuality get start-up dollars
- Pension board budget increase reflects system changes
- ELCA health-care costs will rise in 2002
- A change of pace: Resolutions, worship and volunteering
Voting members face questions on CCM, homosexuality, evangelism and more
Blogs by Sonia C. Solomonson: (Read All)
- It's been great
- Forgiveness is tough
- God and gardens
- A role to cherish
- What's ahead?
- The lost and least
- Reaching out
- Grace happens
- Memorial Day revisited
- Drenched in grace
- Celebrating freedom
- Embracing change
- Ministries Aplenty
- Everyday prayers
- Prayers from the workplace
- Paths of least resistance
- What do we want?
- Children and faith
- Songs of life
- Price points and faith
- Make 'em count
- Kentucky: Ice storm adds to economic woes
- Shishmaref in trouble
- Gifts of Advent
- A prayer life
- In all things, give thanks
- Staying healthy
- Food for thoughtâ€”or fertilizer?
- Peace in these days
- Passing the crozier
- Nurturing faith in children
- Service Part II
- Is service dead?
- Family values
- Experiences of depression
- Vocation and ministry
- Mary and Martha
- 'Foretaste of the feast to come'
- Where are they?
- Making a life transition
- Imago Dei
- Why Mother's Day?
- Final decisions
- Leading with fear